Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Memories Of My Brother, Part 2


I spoke of my brother Jim's death a couple of days ago, and included a few memories of him, of the times when we were growing up and when we were grown.


But at those times when family is talking about death and loss, and funeral arrangements, these talks also bring up so many memories, in every family member, about the person they all lost. And so often, those memories, as they all are shared and pulled together, start to bring more life, and color, and depth, to the unique person we all loved, and knew only facets of.

Sometimes those shared memories remind us of things we can't believe we had forgotten! Sometimes the memories one person holds are memories that only they have, of times spent with the person now gone. The rest of us were not there to see. And when those are shared, it is a great gift!

Our cousin WendiBeth shared one of each of those kinds of memories with me, just in Facebook chat. She said she didn't mind if I shared them, and I want to. They are both priceless.

The "I can't believe I forgot about that!" memory is quick, and I'll do that first. The second, the "I wasn't there to see that" memory is so priceless that I'm saving that for last. 

I can't believe I forgot about his little-kid fascination with turning furniture upside down! [Guffaws and giggles!!!]
Chairs, ottomans, if he could manage to flip it over, or even onto it's side, he was so extremely toddler-proud!
Mom would just wait until he went to bed, and would right things again. In my early elementary years, I even helped sometimes with the fix. But I had forgotten....

WendiBeth's second memory, the one that only she and her Mom, now gone, were there for is so priceless that I am just quoting her with her permission:


"He came to stay with us in Denver once. He came the day we were in the middle of a move to a new apartment. With picking him up at the bus station and then having to take time for a couple of trips back to find his lost luggage, our move was completed at about 12:30 AM and Mama and I had to be at work the next morning so unpacking was out of the question. 

We left Jim the next morning with instructions to "Please don't stress over this... We will get it all sorted out when we get home." Well...we came home and everything was unpacked and organized, he had found a tablecloth and ironed it and put it on the dining room table. He also took a walk in a nearby field and picked wildflowers, brought them home and arranged them in a vase on the table. He had cooked dinner AND baked brownies for dessert!!!! 
I could use him now!"

2 comments:

  1. What delightful stories! So good to collect memories of him. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all your kind words, Jo.
      Truly appreciated!

      Yes, that 'drift' where time flies by is common. But Jim's death has gotten me to stop drifting from the rest of my family. I've been emailing, planned a visit, and have started a family Facebook group.
      Lesson learned!

      Delete